Newark Academy Educational Expo
in Livingston, NJ - April 23, 2017
AISAP has embarked on a new initiative created to support Admission and Enrollment Management Professionals, advocate for options in private education, and provide students and families information and guidance into opportunities on the road to higher education. This program is called Educational Expos: Opportunities on the road to higher education and beyond. This program began in September of the 2016/2017 academic year and is located at various sites around the United States. These programs are heavily advertised and marketed and free and open to the public.
91 S Orange Avenue
Livingston, NJ 07039
Professional Development Speaker:
David Holmes, Co-Director of the Institute on Character and Admission
Topic: David will discuss how he and his colleagues in secondary and higher education were motivated to create the Institute on Character and Admission and the implications of the Institute for what admission professionals do. He will describe the landscape in college and independent schools and suggest how we as admission professionals can engage in this work. There will be time for a robust Q&A about this critical topic.
David Holmes served the University of Vermont for 13 years as professor of education and founder of the university-wide center for teaching excellence. He led two independent schools, Suffield Academy and Community School (ID). He helped found College for Every Student (helps low income youth on a path to college) and Escola SESC (a 520 student boarding school serving low income youth throughout Brazil). He coordinated a $25 mil grants program at the U.S. Department of Education¹ s Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education. An author of articles, monographs and a book on the McCarthy era (Stalking the Academic Communist), David oversees studies of character development at Community School, including two projects in concert with Angela Duckworth and the Character Lab at UPenn. He received a B.A. from Middlebury College, an MA in International Relations from Columbia University, and a Ph.D. from the University of Denver. He is co-director of the Institute on Character and Admission.
- 4:15 - 5:15 pm Professional development session for Admission and Enrollment Management Professionals
- 5:15 - 6:00 pm Light dinner for school representatives and event set up
- 6:00 - 8:00 pm Education Expo (School fair “2.0”) — a most engaging interaction with school reps, special guests, and brief, 25 minute breakout sessions for parents and students on topics such as the application process, assessment and testing, and affordability.
Expo/School Fair Registration Fee
AISAP Member (includes expo registration, professional development and dinner): $295
AISAP Non-Member* (includes expo registration, professional development and dinner): $335
Additional school representatives (wanting to participate in professional development and dinner): $50
*If you are not an AISAP Member, you have the option to join now and receive the member rate through your registration.
Professional development program and dinner only (does not include expo): $50
What does an Educational Expo/School Fair offer? Many things:
- An opportunity on a global scale to encourage schools to come together in support and as advocates of private education opportunities for parents and students.
- An opportunity to have professional development provided by AISAP and partners for all of the attending Admission and Enrollment Management professionals.
- An opportunity for students and parents to have premier access to break-out sessions with leading authorities and practitioners in areas related to the Admission and Enrollment Management process. For example, there are sessions on topics such as the application process, assessment and testing, and affordability.
- In partnership with SchoolAdmin, all events have online pre-registration and electronic walk-in registration. Information is shared with attending schools after the event.
AISAP staff and partners, with support from our host schools, will be overseeing and managing everything from registration to outreach, programming, marketing and follow-up.
Interested in learning more about hosting an Educational Expo in your school community or attending an Educational Expo? Please contact Ray Diffley at email@example.com.