TUES., SEPT. 26TH at 12noon PT/3pm ET/8pm London/11pm Dubai WED., SEPT 27th at 3am Hong Kong
This summer, the Supreme Court effectively overturned decades-long precedent in ruling that Harvard and the University of North Carolina’s race conscious admission practices were impermissible. While the Supreme Court’s decision does not directly impact independent schools that do not receive federal financial assistance, it does establish a precedent for asserting that certain practices are unlawful discrimination, even in other contexts. In fact, and relying on the Supreme Court’s reasoning, a Department of Education investigation into legacy admissions preference is already underway. We will discuss the legal framework and underpinnings for the Supreme Court’s decision, as well as its potential to impact independent schools. We will also discuss potential alternative avenues schools can consider in adjusting their own race conscious admissions practices. Finally, we will discuss the background of the Department of Education’s investigation into legacy admissions and any status updates.
All registrants will be emailed access to presentation recordings and resources within 1 business day after the live webinar.
Independent School Law Associate
Level of Experience:
- Emerging (2-4 Yrs)
- Advancing (5-9 Yrs)
- Mastery (10+ Yrs)
L&D 1 - Ethical Conduct
Notes for AISAP Webinars
- Once you click the REGISTER button on the calendar, you will be redirected to the portal.
- Once you complete registration on the portal, you are signed up for the webinar.
- A confirmation email from Zoom Webinar will be sent with a link to attend the webinar.
- To register for more webinars, click on the Events tab at the top of the page, then select Live Events.
- Resources will be added to the resources tab once presenters share any files.
- Recordings will be posted within 1 business day after the live webinar.
- Missed the live session? Register and access the recording and resources.
$0 for members | $79 for nonmembers
Join now and register at the no-cost member rate!